Junior Researcher / Spatial Analyst
Confluvio is an international consulting company focused on hydro-ecological research, nature conservation, and policy applications. Confluvio, in collaboration with the Global Dam Watch team, is developing a curated spatial database of global hydropower and reservoir locations, which will enable environmental assessments, support hydrological modelling and monitoring and will establish support for both practitioners and researchers with curated, high-quality data. A major challenge is to harmonize the data with global river networks, and to establish links to state-of-the art global water information systems.
The candidate will help integrate a spatial database of reservoir surfaces from the Global Dam Watch project (http://globaldamwatch.org/) to a near real-time monitoring system of water levels in global reservoirs called “Global Water Watch” (https://www.deltares.nl/en/news/deltares-wwf-and-wri-team-up-to-develop-global-water-watch-a-platform-funded-by-google-org-to-provide-worldwide-access-to-water-information/). The linkage of the two systems will facilitate a variety of regional to global research including the effect of dams and reservoirs on the environment, but more importantly it will also support the observation of streamflow changes due to land use and climate changes.
Confluvio is seeking a motivated Environmental Analyst / Spatial Analyst
to join our team and help implement a number of GIS projects at the interface of hydrology, climate change, and human impacts on the environment. Working remotely, the successful candidate will be expected to embrace this job with a positive attitude, attention to detail, and willingness to learn new skills.
In detail, the candidate will a) manage, process, and enhance large spatial datasets within Geographic Information Systems (GIS); b) develop tools and workflows facilitating data management and environmental modelling using scripting and statistical analysis (ArcPy, R); and c) contribute to reports and research papers with analysis, maps and graphs.
This position will provide a unique training opportunity for the candidate to strengthen important geospatial skills and will expose the candidate to research and applications related to the global mapping and monitoring of water resources and the sustainable use of water for the protection of freshwater environments.
This position is contingent on funding from EcoCanada under the Youth in Natural Resources (YNR) program. More information at www.eco.ca.
To fulfill the requirements of the YNR supported position, the prospective candidate is required to be:
- 30 years of age or younger
- a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or have refugee status
Details of position:
- Pay Rate: $3300-4700 gross monthly payment (depending on experience), plus 4% vacation pay paid out monthly
- Hours of Work: Flexible, 37.5 hours /week
- Work Location: Online (home office-based)
- Anticipated Start Date: April 1st, 2021
- Contract length: 12 months
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree in Environment, Geography, Informatics, or related fields preferred
- Portfolio demonstrating advanced experience working with Geographic Information Systems (GIS), and databases relevant to processing geodata layers
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent information organizational skills
- Competent working with ArcGIS Pro, ArcMAP or equivalent software programs
- Competent working with Microsoft Office & Google Suite programs
- Ability to work both independently and as a supportive member of the Confluvio team
- Experience working with ArcPy
- Experience working with hydrological datasets
The candidate will work remotely and full-time, under the direct joint supervision of Confluvio staff. Position work-plan and timeline are to be mutually agreed upon by the candidate and the supervisor.
How to apply:
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter and resume, or apply through the link below. We will contact you within one week if you are selected for an interview. This position will remain posted until filled.