Confluvio is an international consulting company focused on hydro-ecological research, nature conservation, and policy applications. We are seeking a motivated Junior Researcher / Spatial Analyst to join our team and help implement several innovative and cutting-edge projects at the interface of ecology, hydrology, human impacts on the environment, and the conservation of nature.
The candidate will contribute to the success of a wide variety of consulting projects with regional, international, or global significance, e.g., a global analysis of wetland protection, the development of tools and analytical approaches to enhance freshwater conservation approaches, web applications to support the identification of areas for protection in Europe, optimization approaches to minimize tradeoffs in the hydropower impacts using large-scale environmental modelling, among others.
Confluvio works with leading NGO’s, including The Nature Conservancy (TNC), the World Wildlife Fund (WWF), The International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN), and executes projects in North and South America, Africa, and Asia.
The candidate will also be deeply involved in developing the next generation of the HydroSHEDS product suite, which currently forms the foundation for many existing global water datasets, tools, and analyses, thus providing an invaluable service for conservationists, managers, researchers, planners, economists, and policy makers. (https://www.hydrosheds.org).
In detail, the candidate will a) manage, process, and enhance large spatial datasets within Geographic Information Systems (GIS); b) use and develop tools and workflows facilitating data management and environmental modelling using scripting and statistical analysis (ArcPy); c) contribute to reports and research papers with analysis, maps and graphs and d) participate in meetings with clients to present their findings and results.
Working remotely, the successful candidate will be expected to embrace this job with a positive attitude, attention to detail, and willingness to learn new skills. This position will provide a unique training opportunity for the candidate to strengthen important geospatial skills and will expose the candidate to research and applications related to the global mapping and monitoring of water resources and the sustainable use of water for the protection of freshwater environments.
- Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person having refugee status in Canada.
- Note: Confluvio is committed to equity and diversity within its staff and work environment. We welcome and encourage applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to engage productively with diverse communities.
Details of position:
- Pay Rate: CAD $3600-5200 gross monthly payment (depending on experience, and hours of work), plus 4% vacation pay paid out monthly
- Hours of Work: Flexible, 35 - 40 hours/week
- Work Location: Online (home office-based)
- Anticipated Start Date: ASAP, November 2023
- Contract length: 12 months, with possibility of extension
- Post-secondary education; Bachelor's or master’s degree in Environment, Geography, Informatics, or related fields preferred
- Portfolio demonstrating advanced experience working with Geographic Information Systems (GIS), and databases relevant to processing geodata layers
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills (French an asset)
- Excellent information organizational skills and attention to detail
- Competent working with ArcGIS Pro, ArcMAP
- Ability to work both independently and as a supportive member of the Confluvio team
- Experience using python and ArcPy
- The candidate will work remotely and full-time, under the direct joint supervision of Confluvio staff.
How to apply:
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter and resume. This position will remain posted until filled.